MI: Harman Breaks Ground on New 1000-Employee-Capacity N. American HQ
24 Nov, 2014
HARMAN International Industries, Incorporated, the premier audio, visual, infotainment and enterprise automation group, broke ground on its new North American Automotive Headquarters.
The new 188,000-square-foot building, scheduled for completion by fall 2015, will be located in Novi on Cabot Drive and will initially accommodate 750 employees. Developed by Northern Equities Group, the new North American Automotive Headquarters will anchor the 400-acre Haggerty Corridor Corporate Park. HARMAN forecasts it will add 250 more employees to this new facility in coming years.
“Metro Detroit is the epicenter of the automotive industry. This strength, combined with the exceptional technical talent in southeast Michigan, made Novi a compelling destination for HARMAN’s new North American automotive headquarters,” said Dinesh Paliwal, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, HARMAN. “The consumer appetite for a connected car experience continues to grow, and HARMAN is leading the industry in solutions that bridge Silicon Valley and Detroit. This new Michigan facility reflects our corporate strategy to continue developing infotainment and audio systems for global markets through superior engineering, award-winning design, and high-value software systems.”
The new headquarters will feature equipment and facilities such as:
· Engineering labs for a variety of advanced infotainment technologies and platforms, including driver assistance, next-generation navigation and security solutions;
· Development areas focused on future connectivity solutions, including telematics, over-the-air update services, and vehicle-to-infrastructure / vehicle-to-vehicle communication;
· Infotainment design studios for Harman and customer co-development of advanced software applications;
· An audio listening room to demonstrate HARMAN’s audio products to automotive customers;
· A full cinema quality 5.1 surround sound theater showcasing HARMAN’s expertise in professional audio, as well as home and multimedia;
· An anechoic chamber for the accurate designing and testing of transducers (speakers);
· Vehicle bays for integration testing;
· A full-scale pilot factory; and
· Employee amenities including a fitness center, locker rooms, cafeteria, Silicon Valley-style collaboration spaces, deck and patio.
HARMAN is the leading supplier of advanced infotainment and audio products to the world’s automakers, including Audi, BMW, Fiat Chrysler, Ferrari, Ford, General Motors, Hyundai, Kia, Lexus, Land Rover, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, Toyota, and Volkswagen. With a $20.5 billion backlog of awarded business, HARMAN is driving the automotive industry forward with technologies that address connectivity, safety, and security, as well as audio solutions that heighten the in-car entertainment experience. The Company’s Michigan operations has been critical to a number of innovations for the automotive industry, including advancements in audio signal processing, active sound management solutions for hybrid and electric vehicles, and platform-based infotainment solutions for vehicles ranging from entry models to premium, luxury automobiles.
HARMAN (www.harman.com) designs, manufactures and markets premier audio, visual, infotainment and enterprise automation solutions for the automotive, consumer and professional markets. With leading brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL®, Lexicon®, Mark Levinson ® and Revel®, the Company is admired by audiophiles, musicians and the entertainment venues where they perform. More than 25 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with HARMAN audio and infotainment systems. HARMAN has a workforce of approximately 16,600 people across the Americas, Europe, and Asia and reported sales of $5.6 billion for the 12 months ended September 30, 2014. The Company’s shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol NYSE:HAR.