IN: Canadian Snack Maker to Make Fort Wayne U.S. Headquarters
9 Aug, 2010
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (July 8, 2010) - Saratoga Potato Chips, LLC announced today that it will locate its U.S. headquarters here, creating up to 175 new jobs by 2013.
The Canadian company, which produces retailer brand potato chips, kettle chips and popcorn, will invest $4.9 million to lease and equip an existing 138,000 square-foot facility at 6923 Lincoln Parkway in the state's second largest city.
"Saratoga is the second international firm in the last month to have taken notice of the business climate we've created and launch U.S. headquarters operations in our state," said Governor Mitch Daniels who recently joined executives from Chinese manufacturer, Y.K. Furniture to announce the company's plans to establish its U.S. headquarters in Marion and create up to 100 new jobs over the next four years.
Saratoga Potato Chips, LLC, a 22-year-old company, is preparing to start production in Fort Wayne later this year. The company plans to begin hiring production, management and administrative positions at that time. Interested applicants will be able to apply online this fall at www.indianacareerconnect.com .
"Saratoga's Indiana headquarters gives us closer proximity to our U.S. customers, many of which are located in the Midwest," said Peter Margie, president and chief executive officer of Saratoga Potato Chips. "State and local officials have created an excellent business environment and that made our decision to locate in Indiana an easy one."
The Indiana Economic Development Corporation offered Saratoga Potato Chips, LLC up to $1 million in performance-based tax credits based on the company's job creation plans. Allen County will consider additional property tax abatement at the request of the Fort Wayne-Allen County Economic Development Alliance.
"This is a tremendous opportunity for Allen County," said Commissioner Nelson Peters. "The fact that Saratoga Potato Chips has chosen northeast Indiana as its U.S. headquarters speaks volumes for our business community and shows that we are an excellent place to grow and conduct business."
Last month the Wall Street Journal reported that Indiana has the largest percentage increase in jobs of any state in 2010 at 1.9 percent. The state's private sector employment has grown by 2.1 percent this year, with a total gain of 47,900 jobs according to the U.S. Department of Labor. The next closest states reported private sector employment growth of 1.5 percent while national private sector job growth was .5 percent. Indiana accounts for 10 percent of total U.S. private sector employment growth during the five-month period (Indiana has 2 percent of the country's population).
About Saratoga Potato Chips, LLC
Saratoga Potato Chips, LLC is a leading supplier of retailer brand products in the North American market. For the last 22 years the company has enjoyed annual double digit growth.
Created by Governor Mitch Daniels in 2005 to replace the former Department of Commerce, the Indiana Economic Development Corporation is governed by a 12-member board chaired by Governor Daniels. Mitch Roob serves as the chief executive officer of the IEDC. For more information about IEDC, visit www.iedc.in.gov .